Re: About maintaining a mirror

At 19:06 11/7/2003, you wrote:
I would like to setup a local Fedora mirror. Currently I am using
fmirror with a fairly obscure configuration file to mirror RedHat
Linux distribution and the updates. It should work with Fedora too but
I am wondering if there is a better (or even recommended) way of doing
this.

Several mirrors of Red Hat (I used to run one) simply use rsync. I can give you my configuration if you like... it's extremely easy. Basically, find another mirror who supports rsync and "rsync -av rsync-host::rsync-path/ /local/path/to/files/" and you're done. Read the man page for great things like "--bwlimit" and the various include and exclude functions.

Rsync can also be a wonderful remote copying and mirroring option over ssh to use between two of your systems. Simply "rsync -av -e ssh" and you're good to go.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx