Problems installing FC1 under VMWare

Last night I tried to install Fedora Core 1 under VMWare. It failed in two situations, very early in the installation--about two dialogs in.

1) Windows XP host, VMWare 3.x
2) Linux Redhat 8 host, VMWare 4.x

Both of these configurations have had other Redhat and other Linux distributions work successfully. The media has installed onto my old Compaq server with no difficulties.

Has anyone else experience the same problem?

I noticed in the release notes that FC1 has been optimized for "Pentium Pro (and later) CPUs". Is this a change from Redhat 8 or 9?

Alan