Re: XFS filesystem support in Fedora

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 14:14, Fabian Arias wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > Are there any plans to include SGI's XFS filesystem support into Fedora's
> > kernels and/or installers?
>
> XFS support in 2.4 kernels require too much API rewrite, and don't seem to
> be useful such an effort when 2.6 is out of the door, with vanilla XFS
> support included.

Dunno if it's a conscious effort or simply a coincidence, but Red Hat
just seems terribly opaque to any suggestion of including XFS support.
Unlike other distributions ;-) which were happy to include it, at least
as an "experimental" feature.

That's too bad, since XFS is very good at handling read/write to/from
very large files, when other FSs have a rather poor performance. Anyone
who tried to author DVDs knows what i'm talking about.

> Shure it would, but unpractical (in terms of development I mean) for now
> until a couple of next releases that ships 2.6 kernels.

I'm sure it won't be difficult at all to include it in the very next
Fedora release.
XFS-enabled "Red Hat" kernels have been around for ages, they're very
well tested. Even hacked Anaconda versions, with XFS support, are
available as well.
ATrpms http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/ provides such kernels (even
for Fedora Core 1) and the userland tools.

I'm willing to work on the XFS support issue for the next Fedora. Where
do i have to sign up? :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/