Re: Fwd: Migration from RH 9 to Fedora

On Thursday 06 November 2003 17:43, Mike Coolin wrote:
> After reviewing the Fedora site and this list I find that thier is no clear
> migration path stated for current RH9 users.
>
> How does one go about upgrading to Fedora from RH9?

Download the ISOs, upgrade your RH9, done.

> Will my data be put at risk?

No. I even migrated from ext2 to ext3 during upgrade.

> Will my applications contiue to function?

Yes. At least I got no big problems. The only one so far is the mysqld startup
strip (known bug) ending with "Failed" altough it's actualy runing after the
start command.

> While it appears that you need to install from CD, redhat seems to have
> gone out
> of thier way to not inform users how they can migrate safely from RH9 to
> any of the offerings of RH ES or Fedora.

It works just fine. At least I cannot complain about anything. I just moved to
2.6.0-test9 with FC1. Not realy tested yet though.

> Am I alone in the finding that the migration section of the redhat site is
> seriously lacking in useful migration howto instructions.

backup all vital stuff (you never know ...)
do the upgrade

If you scared to do it on a production machine (I would not go for it right
now) do it on a test machine (what I did).

I must say, great job Fedora folks :-)

--
Just GNU it!