RE: Meaning of "Yarrow"

Well, the Shrike to Severn tie-in is definitely Hyperion because Severn was the name of one of the characters from the book.

Yarrow seems to be popular with witches: a bit of black magic, maybe!

-----Original Message-----
From: esm@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:esm@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 8:32 AM
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Meaning of "Yarrow"

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 08:02:49AM -0800, Shanon Fernald wrote:
> Just curious. This has been bugging me. Wasn't "Shrike" the name of a previous release of redhat? I know that the Shrike is from the great sci-fi novel Hyperion. Now if I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a "Yarrow" tree or something in the book too? Is that the relation between these two release names? Sorry if I am totally off-base here, but in the back of my mind this has been driving me crazy.

Yeah, I'd been looking for a Simmons' tie-in too, but don't have a copy
of Hyperion handy. :-P However, Severn was the beta leading up to Yarrow,
so I'd think the connection needs to be there.

The most promising tie-in I've found so far is a pair of chracters from the
sci-fi comic Transmetropolitan (http://giaever.com/op/transmet/): Charron
Yarrow and Vita Severn. This seems like a pretty good connection, although
not knowing much about the comic, I'm not sure how related the characters
are (if at all).

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm@xxxxxxxxx>
http://esm.logic.net/

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.