Re: Yarrow Release Notes - sendmail mc->cf

At 16:35 11/5/2003, you wrote:
#
By default, the Sendmail mail transport agent (MTA) does not accept network connections from any host other than the local computer. If you want to configure Sendmail as a server for other clients, you must edit /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and change the DAEMON_OPTIONS line to also listen on network devices (or comment out this option entirely using the dnl comment delimiter). You must then regenerate /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the following command (as root):
make -C /etc/mail
Note that you must have the sendmail-cf package installed for this to work.

May I also suggest a quick read at my SMTP AUTH document?

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

It's not perfect yet, and there is more stuff I want to add (feedback welcome!!), but it will help a normal user to (a) accept network connections and (b) use SMTP AUTH for authentication to protect themselves and the rest of the Internet from being an open relay for spammers.

I have used this little HOWTO for a couple of years already, and I can guarantee that it works well. I'll be making some updates and additions to it, but the material there works. Feel free to email me directly with questions if you don't understand the document... this will help me improve the document too!

I'm used to sendmail doing it for me on a 'service sendmail reload', and I liked that it did the 'make' as required. Is this no longer expected to work as it did for RHL9 (and possibly others)?

Can you let me know when you confirm if this works? It would be a nice addition to the HOWTO.

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx