RE: Matthew Szulik is Stupid

I have to take issue with this posting. Nowhere in the interview (the one
I've read anyway), does Matt Szulik say that linux is not ready for the
desktop. He says that the consumer market is not ready for Linux, and it
isn't. How easy do sysadmins find adding new hardware to linux? How easy is
it to get the 3D rendering on an NVidia FX graphics card in linux?

To quote the ZDnet article: Matthew Szulik, chief executive of Linux vendor
Red Hat, said on Monday that although Linux is capable of exceeding
expectations for corporate users, home users should stick with Windows: "I
would say that for the consumer market place, Windows probably continues to
be the right product line," he said. "I would argue that from the
device-driver standpoint and perhaps some of the other traditional
functionality, for that classic consumer purchaser, it is my view that
(Linux) technology needs to mature a little bit more."

Where in there does he say that linux is not ready for the desktop?

Let's stop and think about this before blowing our collective top.

Where does Red Hat get most of it's revenue from? Not the consumer
certainly. (How many of us actually buy our Red Hat CDs?) The Enterprise is
where Red Hat are making their money. It makes sense to concentrate on the
Enterprise market.

Again from ZDnet: However, Szulik expects Linux to be ready in a couple of
years after it has had time to mature. In the mean time, he is adamant that
corporate users would be surprised by how much the operating system has to
offer. "Consumers want USB drivers and digital camera support; but for the
enterprise desktop, that is a little bit different -- that area is ripe," he
said. "We think that the enterprise desktop market place is much more
strategic and has buyers whose needs we can exceed."

So he is not saying that RH is deserting the desktop market, just the home
consumer. How many home consumers have got the time to install a second OS
that doesn't play the games they want to play, needs lots of tweaking to get
their printer to work, and will cost them money? Yes Windows is cr*p, but it
IS easy to use for the average home user.

Just my 2p.

Andy