Re: "Granny - Just edit your Registry!" Re: hoax or bad taste joke by Redhat's CEO?

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 07:04, Vince Scimeca wrote:
> I agree.  I have been a RH user for some time now.  My wife, who would
> probably be considered to have average PC knowledge has always been a M$
> user.  After getting tired of rebuilding her W2K laptop for who knows
> how many times for many various reasons I instead rebuilt her laptop to
> RH.  I checked with her to see what apps she needed (browser, email, doc
> editor, spreadsheet) and thought this would be a good thing to do.
> Hell, if she didn't like it I could always bring her back to M$.  It has
> been several months now that she has been running RH and I have not had
> to touch the machine to address any issues since I handed it over to
> her...and she uses it on a daily basis.  She has no reason to know
> anything about opening a terminal for what she needs to do.  I am not
> saying that this is an ideal situation for the masses, but I also don't
> think Linux should be looked at as something you need to be a computer
> geek to understand.  Luckily in our situation if my wife had an issue
> with it she has a computer geek who can take care of it ;-)

My mom and three of my five kids use Linux on their desktops. It does
what they want, and I don't have to rebuild all the time like I did/do
with Windows. There is definitely a place in the market for a home build
based on Fedora.