Re: Redhat to Fedora - up2date/RHN

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Di, den 04.11.2003 schrieb Charles Gregory um 06:41:
> > Now, less than a year later, Red Hat (basic) is being dropped, the RH
> > "Enterprise Edition" is ridiculously expensive (for a small not-for-profit
> > community net, anyways),
> You may be one of those who will suffer from that change in Red Hats
> marketing strategie. There are a lot of similiar fears, here. But things
> are really not as worse as they some people consider it to be. You may
> check out Red Hat Professional Workstation (about $ 100), which should
> fullfill your criteria well.

Not according to the comparison chart, which specifically lists 'DNS' as
not being among the packages on a WS. We're running internet servers. A
workstation really won't be good enough.....

> It's just an update, just as any previous RH version

I'd like to believe that, but when I talk to Red Hat it's like they wash
their hands of the whole thing, and as noted in my posting, they will
offer NO sort of 'Red Hat Network' subscription for Fedora. I'm definitely
losing something. I'm trying to figure out how much. If all this means is
that I have to take a pro-active approach to watching for updates (run
up2date from cron once a week?) then that may do. But it has to be very
easy for low tech-level personnel.

> You are  :-)  Using the software you will see repositories fedora-core
> and fedura-updates-released.....

So then I have to download the software to use it. So I'm still unsure of
what is happening.

> Fedora is meant to be as stable as Red Hat Linux has been. But its life
> time will be shorter (about 8-9 months). So you will have to update your
> machines more frequently. Might be not a good idea for servers.

The one thing that has made our old servers such a mess is the lack of
updates and the resultant exposure to hacks. If we have to perform routine
upgrades, that would be just fine, as long as they are relatively
automatic, and don't involve a lot of downtime.

> Another difference is support. There is no "guranteered" support for
> Fedora, but there will be a "de facto" support. Might be sufficient for
> some environements but will definitely not for a lot of others.

Odd as this sounds, we aren't really concerned about support. The trick
is, either *I* will be here, which requires no support, or there will be a
person with so few skills that they would likely not be able to describe a
problem properly or ask the right questions, and would not really gain any
benefit from support.

The main thing is to avoid the *need* for support by keeping the software
patched to the latest *stable* release/level.

Thanks for responding!

- Charles