Re: Several questions

Wade Hampton wrote:

I have several questions for the list:

1. How do I get gdm on RH 9 to stop listening on port 6000 (e.g., for my laptop)
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

If GDM was listening for remote connections it would be on port 177, but since
by default it doesn't do that, this isn't your issue.

Port 6000 is (by default) the port that the first X display will listen to for incomming
connections. I don't know if there is any way to disable that.
You can check what hosts X will allow incomming connections from using
the "xhost" command. To add a host to the authorized X-client list do:
"xhost +"

There is also another method of authorizing X applications display privs
that has to do with Xauthority and the xauth command.  I don't know how
this works, it just does it magically on a lot of systems.

SSH can also tunnel X11 connetions so that they appear to the X-Server
as a localhost X-client.

You can use host-based firewalling to protect yourself against incomming
network traffic to port 6000.