Re: eol rh9-ximian and fedora...?

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:17, Tim Kossack wrote:
> hi,
>
> i just received (not surprisingly) the end-of-life notification from rhn
> for red hat 9.
> i'm currently using xd2 atop rh9, and afaik, red carpet uses my (free)
> subscription of rhn as a channel, means all the files/programs which
> haven't been replaced by ximians own (xd2-specific) are updated with the
> files/programs provided by red hat.

red carpet has absolutely nothing to do with rhn.  the red carpet rh9
channel is provided by Ximian, and isn't reliant on your rhn
subscription.

> now, if "Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for
> Red Hat Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004", do i have to install fedora
> afresh (because an update to fedora atop xd2 is afaik not possible) and
> then xd2/3 again (if ximian will continue to provide xd for fedora) to
> have my entire installation bugfixed (afaik i can use my existing
> rhn-channel with fedora as i currently do with rh9), or will ximian
> provide the bugfixing for the former rhn-provided rh9-parts, or...
> so what exactly is the way to go for xd-users such as myself?

it would be wise to ask Ximian about their policy, not Fedora/Red Hat.
but honestly, no, its incredibly unlikely that Ximian will spend time
and money providing updates for someone else's OS.

just as a side note, the version of gnome in fedora is newer than
ximian's current offering, altho ximian's still does have some added
features.  ximian *might* have an updated xd2 for fedora soon (again,
ask them, not red hat).