Re: win4lin & vmware with fedora

On Wednesday 31 Dec 2003 3:14 pm, John Gray wrote:
> Hi all . .
>
> Is anyone running either vmware or win4lin on fedora?  If so, did it
> install easily or with much mucking around?
>
> Thanks
>
> john
>

> --

Once you accept that you need Win4Lin Version 5, I had previously version 4,
so an upgrade was needed ($90), then it was just a case of run the installer
and go.  Very easy.

VMware was a little more tricky as the product did not come with pre-compiled
modules for FC1.  Providing you have installed the kernel source code and a C
compiler, the install script built the required files and installed the
modules without problems.  Just ignore the various warning messages coming
from gcc and answer yes to the question about gcc being later than expected.
Rumour has it that there is a new beta of VMware out there, but I have not
found it yet so cannot comment.

My system is happily run FC1, Win4Lin 5 & Vmware 4.0 side by side without any
serious problems.  The only minor problem I have seen is that the screen
saver does not kick in once the VMware application has been started, but I
can live with that.

--
Alan D