Re: Kudzu and umask in fstab

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 15:13, timothy.larsen@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> What do the kudzu and umask option do in fstab. I have read the man pages
> but I still don't have a clear answer, I am running FC1 if that matters.

umask=000 should give all files 0666 permission and all directories 0777
permission.  I've noticed that vfat seems to mark files 0777, though.
(Extremely annoying when trying to open any file with Nautilus.)  NTFS
may have the same behavior.

Kudzu's /usr/sbin/updfstab regenerates entries marked with the kudzu
option in /etc/fstab.  Entries without the kudzu option are not be
removed or modified.  Also, pre-existing kudzu fstab entries aren't
modified unless they have changed substantially.  see "man updfstab"

On a related note, if you have (USB, Firewire, etc) storage devices
which are not added to /etc/fstab automatically you can fix that with a
little effort.  Removable devices make fstab a pain to manage manually
because the device names change every time new devices enumerate (i.e.
when you connect/disconnect USB devices).

You can find the device's MODEL using scsi_info.  Once you've found the
MODEL info for the unrecognized device you can add a match entry to
/etc/updfstab.conf.  The updfstab man page explains the available
options and gives other useful information.  Also notice that Fedora
keeps a listing of recognized devices in /etc/updfstab.conf.default.
Take care to not disturb that file in any way (or future updates may not
apply to it).  You could create your own file and include that from the
main updfstab.conf.

I have several generic USB-IDE drive boxes which look like this:
$ scsi_info /dev/sda
SCSI_ID="0,0,0"
MODEL="USB 2.0 Storage Device"
FW_REV="0100"

The following /etc/updfstab.conf entry would mount them to /mnt/harddisk
(/mnt/harddisk1, etc):
device harddisk {
   partition 1
   match    hd "USB 2.0 Storage Device"