Re: Digital Cameras?

Just to give a different slant to the digital camera issue.  I currently
own a Canon s230, D30 and a D60.  These all use flash memory and I have
used a Sansdisk usb attached reader to transfer images.  However I prefer
to use the USB connection with gphoto.  My reasons for this may be
irrational, but I really don't like unplugging and replugging a card with
as many pins as a compact flash.  If I wear out my USB connection I can
still revert to reading the Flash Card directly.

I think that the real question one has to ask when considering digital
photography is what do you want to do on the photography side.  If the aim
is point and shoot, just make sure that the camera/brand selected is
either supported by gphoto or uses flash with a FAT format file system.
If you get into the range of digital SLR's then you have to think a little
harder.  Dave Frantz alluded to the poor support in Linux of a vendors RAW
format.  This format usually gives 12 bits instead of 8 bits per color
channel.  For this format you have two choices at this time.  Use the
vendors conversion programs under wine or investigate the good work done
by Dave Coffin at http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin.  The Gimp at this
point in time is strictly an 8 bit per channel program although the
film/movie version does support 16 bits.  Photoshop 7.0 runs nicely under
Crossover office on Fedora if you tweak prelink.

On the printing side,  Gimp-Print supports the Epson stylus photo series
pretty well.  What is missing however is a comprehensive color profiling
system.  With the advent of little color management system (lcms) and other
efforts in this field this also will change.

The field is also being driven by the animation studios who are switching
to Linux.  Hopefully they will be givers as well as takers.

On a sour note it seems the Sony with the DSC-F828 has decide to encrypt
its raw images:
  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony828.shtml.

Basically just don't buy a camera that is not fully supported in Linux.

--
David E. Tetreault                        davet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Manager of Technical Support              401-874-4472