gdm fails to start X - but startx works fine

hi people

i posted earlier on this but didnt realise it was a gdm problem - i think.

if i boot 'init 5' - i see a flash of the gdm login screen b4 X fails 6
times and says it will wait b4 trying again ... endless loop of failures
follows ...

if i boot 'init 3' - i can type startx as any user and everything is
great - no problems at all.

if i boot 'init 3' - and as root i type 'gdm' i get the same X failure
as if in init 5.

this leads me to assume its a gdm problem but i dont know what
specifically. i also get the following warning/error message while booting that may or may not be related ....

"Mounting local filesystems: ERROR Could not detect network interfaces, you must use a interfaces config line"

My eth0 loads ok and so im not sure what this error is referring to

any ideas?