Re: Initial Fedora impressions

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, LT Don wrote:

> 1. Fedora runs faster than RedHat.

interesting.  My impression of a memory-limited machine (96 megs) was
quite the opposite; and I reached the conclusion that more eye-candies
in the newer Gnome was the source of the slowness between FC! and RH8/9
on my machine.  I got rid of Gnome (now using PAWM as my window
manager), and switched from gnome-terminal to xterm, and things are now
fine.  Some say, I have now a circa 1997 Linux desktop, but personally I
don't really need the more recent state-of-the-art desktop features on
my circa 1997 hardware :)

> 2. Fedora is much buggier than RedHat.

Please fill out bug reports. (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/).
After 1+ weeks of using Fedora on a daily basis, I don't remember seeing
what I would qualify as Fedora bug yet. But if you see some bugs, and
can't find them already filled in bugzilla, and are sure they are
actual bugs, you have to fill them in to make sure they are solved
before FC2.

> Other things that were seamless in RedHat are crashing
> around my ankles in Fedora (i.e., running updates without having to
> first log in as root, and then after logging in as root still seeing
> intermittant failures).

After playing for a few days with up2date in fedora, I have switched to
using the stand-alone yum command.   Using yum (or apt) seems to be an
easy way to remove one layer of complexity in the update system without
any obvious cost or removal of features  (and I prefer the command line
approach to the gui approach anyway).  And by using multiple non-Redhat
mirrors in my yum configuration, I eliminated update failures most
probably due to busy servers (especially when the kernel was upgraded
last week).

--
Daniel Robitaille