Re: Hard Drives and Kernal Source

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Krikket wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> > Krikket wrote:
> >
> > >Has anyone else had problems getting Fedora to recognize their hard drives
> > >at full capacity?  I have a 20 gig drive that the BIOS recognises as ..

> > How are you checking the disk size under Linux?
> > If as root you enter this command what do you get?
> >
> > dmesg|grep sectors
>
> Odd.  That *did* show the full drive.  I got the errant value during the
> install.

Depending on the BIOS and the BIOS settings this initial BIOS
related disk size issue is common.  As long as your bootstrap
partition is located in the beginning of the disk (for you,
inside the first 2GB) you will be OK and no change is needed.
i.e. don't fix it -- when it ain't broken.

Once Linux is booted, the limitations of the BIOS can be left
behind as Linux drivers take over.

Common magic BIOS disk limit numbers are 528MB, 2.1GB, 8.4 GB,
32GB, 64GB.... you should be able to read more about this topic
on your disk drive vendors support pages.  Some mother board
vendors have BIOS updates available.

With older BIOS versions and new monster disks it is often
necessary to set (force) the C/H/S to some sane value to get the
bootstrap loader to load.  This is because the BIOS auto detect
overflows small values and strange stuff happens.  Also, you
might have these BIOS values set strangely by a previous hardware
adventure or a previous owner.

>From a western digital support page.
   BIOS Dates	May not support
   prior to	drives larger than

   Aug 1994 	528MB
   Feb 1996 	2.1GB
   Jan 1998 	8.4GB
   Jun 1999 	32GB

HINT:
I was once told back in RH5/6 time to keep bootstrap stuff at
the beginning of the disk.  I think this still applies.

Question:

One thing I do not know is what happens when a file system much
bigger than the BIOS limit is the location of bootstrap code. At
first the initial location on the disk is going to be within the
reach of the BIOS but a later updates on a full disk might place
blocks of data for the new kernel beyond the reach of the BIOS.
I believe the defaults in the auto partition RH code makes this a
non question but still I am curious.

A rescue Floppy or FC1-Disc1 would boot, but how to recover is
unclear.

BTW: What are your partitions?
	#  cat /proc/partitions

--