Re: Radeon 9700 Overheating???

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, Matt Brei wrote:
> Yes, the fan is running.  I always check the fan.
> On Fri, 2003-12-26 at 23:02, Elton Woo wrote:
> >
> > >Right away I shut down and opened up the case to feel the video card and
> > >sure enough it was running quite hot.  I didn't feel like messing with
> > >it so I just left the machine off so it could cool down  over night.  At

How can the thermal and fan speed information that the BIOS
screens are happy to display see be seen from Linux?

Like others here I had a small fan die and lost a mother board.
Looking back I may have had a month of warning with the odd
program crash here and there.

Luck was on my side and I walked into a sale, the motherboard
replacement was less than $50.  However the symptoms had me
fixing file system damage and reinstalling software that was not
broken for days.  I did more damage to my system than the broken
hardware did.

Do cards like the 9700 have thermal sensors in the big ASIC
packages?

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48 -a*t- yahoo-dot-com