Re: Hard Drives and Kernal Source

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, William Hooper wrote:
> Krikket said:
>
> > And the really embarassing question...  Does anyone have any thoughts on
> > how to install the kernal source?  apt/synaptic doesn't seem to have it,
>
> Are you looking to build your own kernel or kernel modules?  You need the
> kernel-source package.

I'm trying to get the alsa drivers running on my laptop, so I can have
sound.  The RPM doesn't seem to be cutting it for me, and the chipset is
definately supported...

> Are you wanting to look at the patches that Red Hat has added to the
> kernel.org kernel?  Then you need the kernel src.rpm package.
>
> > and the add/install program feature is just broken..
>
> Without more detail, this is a completely worthless statement.

If the system gave me any useful error messages, I would have included
them.  It doesn't.  I get a generic "install failed" type of message with
no rhyme, reason, or anything else of use.  I felt it wasn't necessary to
spell that out, because I understood that it was generally understood that
the add/remove features is pretty severely broken in Fedora...  (Badly
enough that I don't know anyone who's succesfully installed *anything*
using this method.)

Krikket