Re: wireless help newbie

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 13:17, George Bennett wrote:
> I have a dell inspiron running fedora core 1 with kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.  Please help me get away from M$ once and for all!
>
> I have a wireless router and desperately am trying to get my wireless pcmcia adapter to work without luck.  The adapter is a netgear ma401.
>
> I have tried suggestions on multiple forums wihtout success, which leads me to my two questions:
>
> 1.  Is there any 802.11b wireless pcmcia adapter that will work with fedora core 1 "out of the box"?.  I have changed the default setting on my wireless gateway/router for essid and my wep (128) keys.
>
> 2.  Can anyone tell me how to configure the netgear ma401 to work?

Hello George,

I've not dealt with any Netgear routers before, but have a couple of
questions for you.

What have you tried?  Is Fedora seeing your pcmcia card?  If so, is your
question more about getting connected to your wireless router?

If your problem is simply getting connected, try using this utility:
http://quickswitch.sf.net.

It's a perl script that allows you to switch network profiles, but can
be used to learn how to use iwconfig, or just let it set all the
necessary stuff after you place your settings in it's .conf file.

HTH,

Kevin

--
Kevin Old <kold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>