sound cards

I am hoping this "issue" will go away when I switch from RedHat 9.0 to
Fedora later this afternoon. But just in case it doesn't I will pose a
question.

I've tried three different sound cards,but none of them are being found
with I do a Detect Sound Card. Two of the sound cards "work" -- they
will play music CDs.

On boot, using both Gnome and KDE as the desktop, there is a message
saying that device/dev/dsp isn't being found. (No idea where that is in
the tree!) On shutdown, there is a "failed" on something to do with the
mixer.

Running AMD K6/500, if that matters.

Anyone been here before?

Don