Re: root is denied the ability to change permissions?

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 11:31:29 +0800, Robert Vangel wrote:

>To be able to right to the drive as you, in /etc/fstab in the fourth
>column, change the text to this:
>
>   defaults,uid=<uid to write>,gid=<gid to write>
>
>To find out your user id, use the command
>
>$ id <username>
>
>This will output your username and uid, plus any groups you are a member
>of. Change <uid to write> and <gid to write> to whichever ones you want.
>Only this user will be able to write to the drive (or so I am to believe).

Thanks Robert. I am not the one who asked the question, but I have had
similar problems and I am also unable to make much sense out of the man
pages.

I appreciate someone actually explaining in short, simple language
*what* to do (not that I've tried yet). There are too many options for
most things in linux for us newbies to use trial and error in any
useful fashion. But if someone tells us the correct "magic
incantation", *THEN* we can often work backwards using trial and error
to learn a bit. Starting blind makes it nearly impossible though.

Thanks again!

--
 Trevor Smith    |    trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx