Re: rename one file

Trevor Smith wrote:
The other day I wanted to rename one file from a console window like
this:

filename.extension

filename.EXTENSION

I couldn't find any way to do it while leaving the file in the same
directory. I could succeed using KDE/mouse renaming, but mv and cp
refused or failed to rename the file while leaving it in the same
directory.

Any ideas?

$ touch filename.extension $ mv filename.extension filename.EXTENSION

workes for me. What did you do, and what were the error messages?