Re: yum hangs with "damaged header"?

Clint wrote:

When I try to run yum update, I get an error that tells me I have a damaged header in the kernel-source header. Since I'm wanting to skip updates related to the kernel anyways, is there a to either fix the yum update kernel-source header, or get yum to skip on the kernel related updates?

I'd use up2date, but there always seems to be some additional packages to update that yum finds which up2date doesn't.

Here is the relevant output from yum. What you see on the last line is symptomatic of the hang. It doesn't always hang at the same "%", but it always hangs on that file:

# yum update
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Stable)
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Testing)
Server: Fedora Supplemental Packages (Unstable)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Damaged Header /var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr

getting /var/cache/yum/updates-released/headers/kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.i386.hdr

kernel-source-0-2.4.22-1. 12% |=== | 48 kB 00:20 ETA

I *think* I was able to answer my own questions, but want to pitch these to see if my thinking is incorrect.

- Why was yum hanging?
I think it was just "slow" to respond. I started it and left the computer alone, and maybe 30 minutes later it had completed the update, showing me what was available to update, including the kernel updates (which I didn't want to do -- don't want the hassle of the NVidia card and sound card conflicts headaches again)

- How can yum ignore kernel updates?
I was searching for the wrong term. "exclude" is what I needed, not "ignore". So in /etc/yum.conf, in the first section of code, I put the line:
exclude=kernel*
and that seems to perform as I want: tell yum don't bother with kernel updates.

Up2date hung on me then I tried to get updates last night.... But when I tried this morning it worked just fine. I am thinking it was a traffic jam or something.

(which I didn't want to do -- don't want the hassle of the NVidia card and sound card conflicts headaches again)

Yeah I'm waiting for the corresponding NVidia kernel module before I try updating that :)

--
HD

Tipping my hat to Fedora.