Re: problems running bash scripts...

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Greg Wildman wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 20:39, Gustavo Rahal wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > When trying to run any bash script I get the following message: "bash:
> > ./xxxx: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied".. Even as root I
> > get the same message... any idea?
> >

> I am not sure if this is the same problem but make sure your scripts are
> not in DOS (CRLF) format. Using the file command on the script will tell
> you. I use the command "dos2unix" for converting the scripts.

By way of resolution the secret /etc/fstab line for me was:

  /dev/sda1  /mnt/flash01     vfat  debug,noauto,user,exec
                                                      ^^^^

The key was the exec at the end.  I did not find the man pages or
'debug' output as clear on the exec/noexec status as I would have
liked.  Lots of removable media (floppy, flash, ipod, camera,
etc.) that switches from windowz to linux and back could find
such things because the fundamental meta data model is different.

Interactions with umask, and the difference between unix and DOS
new line representation stuff can also produce confusion.  A
shell script with DOS style new lines does not work but looks
fine to a simple editor.  Use vim, it gives a hint when it
notices a dos style text file.

The debug flag in fstab help in understanding umask interactions
and is a good thing for debugging most 'new' mounts.  I think the
debug flag is a good idea for user mounts because of the log
messages.

Changing permissions (chmod) on these files did give some errors
that should have reminded me that this FS type is 'special'.

Regards,
TomM

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l