Re: IP Configuration (actually, 3com prob)

Jonathan Alexander Daniel wrote:
I just installed Fedora as an upgrade to RedHat 9.0. I lost my internet connection. Upon booting I get the following information:
ipchains and ip tables can not be used together [Warning]
Determining IP information for eth1...failed; no link present. Check cable?

You seem to be having the same exact symptoms that I had with my EtherLink XL PCI card. Nobody else seemed to get the same check cable error as you and I have.

Basically, they killed the card's functionality between RH9 and Severn1. Now it seems that either stopping kudzu from loading on startup, disabling the network graphical boot loader and other tricks.

I took out the card and substituted a later version 3com card in to shuffle around the problem.

I am getting ready to put the card in my machine again and try it out with the 2.6 kernel. Someone mentioned that it was a 2.4 kernel with nptl support problem. I'm rather curious.

Jim

BTW - If you run dhclient from a root terminal, you should get an IP address. It allowed me to run KDE and most applications.
Mozilla, GNOME and a few other applications were killed though.

-- The goal of science is to build better mousetraps. The goal of nature is to build better mice.