Re: New Install

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 06:15, Krikket wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Philip Wyett wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 05:43, Krikket wrote:
> > > I've recently switched over my laptop from SuSE 9.0 to Fedora Core 1.  So
> > > far I like what I see.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately for me, there are a few things that are different in the
> > > distributions that have me stumped.  I'm hoping someone out there can lend
> > > me a pointer or two...
> > >
> > > 1>  Assign the machine name.  With SuSE, I could either change a setting
> > > in YaST or edit /etc/HOSTNAME to set the machine name from "localhost" to
> > > "serenity".  (Or anything else I wanted...)  This file doesn't appear to
> > > exist with Fedora.  How do I set it?
> > >

> > You could have set this at install time, but see in /etc/hosts.
>
> Where?!?  Due to some bad hardware that I *was* going to use as a server,
> I've gone through the Fedora install process at least half a dozen times
> in the last few days, and I haven't seen it anywhere...
>
> As for /etc/hosts I have three lines:
>
> # (Commentary about not deleting the second line)
> # (More commentary)
>
> 127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> What should I be modifying?  I've tried playing around with both
> occurances of "localhost".  If I modify the first, I get an error when I
> try to enter Gnome.  If I modify the second, it appears to do nothing.
> (Or is there yet another variable I have to change to see it reflected in
> my shell prompt?)
>
> Or am I missing something even more basic?
>
> Krikket

As Alexander states you need to set '/etc/sysconfig/network' e.g.

[philip@wyett CS]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=wyett

You can also set (if needed) '/etc/hosts' e.g.

[philip@wyett CS]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               wyett localhost.localdomain localhost

Since the Fedora Core has no docs as such yet especially screenshots. I
refer you to the RH 9 docs for where you can set the hostname manually.
Under the Fedora Core install the screen is virtually identical.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-netconfig.html

Regards

Phil

--