Re: New Install

Am So, den 21.12.2003 schrieb Krikket um 06:43:
> I've recently switched over my laptop from SuSE 9.0 to Fedora Core 1.  So
> far I like what I see.
>
> Unfortunately for me, there are a few things that are different in the
> distributions that have me stumped.  I'm hoping someone out there can lend
> me a pointer or two...
>
> 1>  Assign the machine name.  With SuSE, I could either change a setting
> in YaST or edit /etc/HOSTNAME to set the machine name from "localhost" to
> "serenity".  (Or anything else I wanted...)  This file doesn't appear to
> exist with Fedora.  How do I set it?

The hostname is to be set in /etc/sysconfig/network.

> 2>  Keyboard layout.  I'm not going to bother with the SuSE method.  What
> I'm trying to do is to be able to change keyboards from a US English
> keyboard layout to a Russian (Cyrillic) keyboard layout.  I've discovered
> by right clicking on the bottom task bar in Gnome, I've been able to add a
> "kayboard layout" tool, and even set [Alt-Right Shift] to switch between
> the virtual keyboards.  Unfortunately, this doesn't actually change the
> keyboard layout.  I'm still getting letters from the English alphabet.

Maybe you should edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n or/and ~/.i18n to add a
russian locale.

> 2a>  Is there a way of setting up a phonetic Cyrillic keyboard?

Don't know what that is.

> 3>  I'm trying to get the alsa drivers installed, and some of the
> instructions involve using "modinfo" and "modprobe".  Fedora doesn't
> appear to have these commands...  (SuSE did.)  Any suggestions as to where
> to go from here?  (I"m trying to get sound working on a Fujitsu Lifebook
> L-470.)  I'm also getting some build errors, but I'm going to try
> redownloading the file just in case it was corrupted...  I also don't have
> a way of copying and pasting the error, so that part I'll leave for now.

Fedora has modinfo and modprobe commands. Be sure to be root when
calling modprobe. Don't leave the "-" when becoming root using "su" (->
su -).

There are ready ALSA rpms for Fedora Core 1 on freshrpms.net. Install
those packages. No need to self compile. You can add the freshrpms yum
repository to the sources list /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and easily
install and upgrade packages using up2date.

> So, any suggestions/pointers would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Krikket

Alexander

--