Re: problems running bash scripts...

Tom Mitchell wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Gustavo Rahal wrote:

From: Gustavo Rahal <listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: problems running bash scripts...
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 18:39:52 +0000

Hi

When trying to run any bash script I get the following message: "bash: ./xxxx: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Permission denied".. Even as root I get the same message... any idea?

Someone has messed with the permissions of your bash binary or you are not involing the bash you expect.

Check .....
$ which bash
/bin/bash
$ ls -l `which bash`
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       626028 Apr  9  2003 /bin/bash

$ cat /tmp/b1.sh
#! /bin/bash
echo Hello

$ /tmp/b1.sh
bash: /tmp/b1.sh: Permission denied
$ chmod +x /tmp/b1.sh
$ /tmp/b1.sh
Hello

$ cp `which bash` /tmp/bshell

$ cat /tmp/b2.sh
#! /tmp/bshell
echo Hello

$ /tmp/b2.sh
Hello

$ chmod -x /tmp/bshell
$ /tmp/b2.sh
/bin/bash: /tmp/b1.sh: /tmp/bshell: bad interpreter: Permission denied

My guess is that the path to the interpreter in the first line depends on PATH
with a dot in it or something. i.e.:
#! /bin/bash
.vs. #! bash
and `which bash` for you finds some text file perhaps bashing a political person.
This by the way is the same reason why you should never write a program called 'test'.

Good luck,
TomM

Thanks for the reply Mitchell. After trying some more things I found out that the problems is that if I run scripts that are on /mnt/dados/ which is a mounted fat32 partition this problem occurs. On the root partition everything goes fine. But why doesn't it work on fat32 (or maybe with any mounted partitions)?

Thanks
Gustavo