Re: Tips for using "extra" keyboard keys. Mini-HOWTO

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:27:13 -0700, Rob Park wrote:
I found that the KeysymDB file already contains a ton of useful keywords, you don't have to make up your own. Or rather, making up your own is more work with little benefit :)

True, but then I'm just experimenting, I didn't want to mess with the defaults until I was sure it worked.

Funny, I was just experimenting, too, and I didn't want to go about messing with the KeysymDB file... :)

Keymap settings is one area where I don't see the point in having separate
.rc.mine configs, since either you're going to use those keys or not. The
specific keybinding_commands on a per-user basis, certainly, but not the
keycodes and aliases.

True, but I was just experimenting, so I used my own config file (same reason I didn't modify KeysymDB :)

Plus, there's only the one user on this box, so it's basically the same.

NEW=$(aumix -vq|perl -pe 's/^\D+(\d+).+/\1/;')

Ah, the wonders of Perl ;-)

Yeah, I couldn't figure out why your mute script was so long :)

# xmms-toggle-play.sh

XMMS can already do this itself (xmms --play-pause). In fact, xmms-shell is entirely unnecessary...

Excellent ... I had no idea. Guess the author of xmms-shell had no idea either. This must be relatively new for xmms, is it?

Dunno. It's been in xmms since at least 1.2.7, which isn't all that old.

I like firebird/thunderbird, but current development is a bit raw ATM
(e.g. - launching firebird when mozilla is running). I guess sooner or
later we're all going to be using the "birds", but until they've matured a
bit more, I'll stick with the main moz branch.

Yeah, except that I prefer the birds to the main moz branch.. mostly due to extensions and themes. launchmoz is my way of (partly) working around the brokenness of the xremote client.

Yeah, metacity makes it difficult by requiring you use gconf-editor, KDE
makes this kind of stuff fairly straightforward.

I usually run *box for (very occasional) root logins. Fluxbox was a bit late for the FC1 release, but I got OpenBox which seems nearly identical. I'm wondering how I'd get this stuff working on OpenBox? Hmmm, time to RTFM, I guess.

I know that blackbox had a bbkeys program that let you do keybindings, but I've never used it and I don't know how useful it is in this context. I stopped using blackbox long before I ever got this fancy new keyboard :)

http://bbtools.thelinuxcommunity.org/