Re: Newbie: How to upgrade from Red Hat 9 to Fedora from hard disk

I sure hope your not talking about the .iso images
A) If you are. first you need to BURN them to CD
     not install from a hard drive.

B) If you really want to upgrade from a HD think about DLing the actual files, or even better, doing       it with several other methods that were intended as upgrade paths..

C) Once fedora is either installed or upgraded to, the programs in question can or will be up-to-date already. Try the up2date util to check or do the acutal upgrade, just like you did in RH9.

Wuren Li wrote:
PS
Question 4)  My RH9 installation is up to date.  I
expect that some of the updated programs are more
recent versions than those on the 3 yarrow i-386
files.  What happens to those more-recently-updated
programs when the upgrade to Fedora is performed?

--- Wuren Li <liwuren@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi-
  I've looked over the Fedora Release Notes and the
archives of this list, but have not found answers to
some basic RH9-Fedora upgrade questions (I wish they
were in an FAQ).

1) I want to upgrade from a hard drive.  Where
should
I place the 3 yarrow-i386 files? (Put another way,
are
there some places I should not put them?)  Would
creating a 'temp' directory under the root directory
and installing from there be OK?  Would it be better
make a 'temp' directory under / ?

2) Could I do the upgrade over a network?  Even if
the
3 files are on a Win32 machine?

3) What is the command to upgrade with these files?

Thanks.