Re: Wireless profiles.

Renato Ricardo de Abreu wrote:

hi,

You have to put your configuration in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN file, it must look like :

DEVICE=ethN
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
ESSID=YOUR_ESSID
KEY="s:YOUR_KEY"

[]s Renato

... doesn't answer my question, or are you saying that I have to remove the other options to have multiple profiles? Or that I need to use ifcfg-eth1 instead of keys-eth1, after changing the perms of ifcfg1. If I don't use neat I still have to copy a few files.

The quickwich seems to work although I found the config to be too complex, and doesn't work with the existing /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/ files/directorys.

What I need is a simple way of switching wireless networks quickly with out requiring root password (eg, USERCTL). Someone else who seems to have this same issue: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/24364

I think the solution for me is to write my own gnome applet.

Ultimately, on boot it should detect which network is present and switch to that profile (the whole point to the SSID), secondarily you should be able to switch to another profile via a gnome applet (or equivalent for KDE, etc).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been unable to get my wireless
card to work with a profile for WEP, without WEP, and a profile with an
SSID.

I'm using neat, when I change the profile nothing seems to happen. I
have to uncheck eth1WEP, check eth1 and activate eth1. Is there a
simpler way of doing this, and even better a way do do this without
entering the root password. So far running a script from the command
line is easier.

Any ideas?

Anthony