Re: kernel-alsa?

Matthias Saou wrote:

You're absolutely right concerning FC2, alsa and 2.6. But there seems to be
(again) some confusion with fedora.us, which is apparently rolling out alsa
packages for FC1/2.4 from what I've read here and there on various lists
(IIRC Michael Schwendt advertised the pending QA quite a bit).

I'm not quite sure what the original post was referring to.

Matthias

Please, this is getting a little confusing.
Incidentaly I've just download all the ALSA packages from freshrpms today. Up to now, I'm running ALSA compiling it from source, but I'd like to give the RPMs a try (I want to install other RPMs that depend on ALSA, and I don't want to spend time with the dependences, trying to convince these RPMs that I have alsa-lib even if I don't have the RPM...)

I downloaded the following packages:
alsa-utils-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr.i386.rpm
alsa-lib-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr.i386.rpm
alsa-driver-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr.i386.rpm
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr.i386.rpm
kernel-module-alsa-1.0.0-0.rc2.1.fr_2.4.22_1.2129.nptl.athlon.rpm

Is that Ok? Is there anything else I should take care of? (btw, I have an Athlon machine, and the last kernel for FC1)
I don't understand what's the difference between the alsa-driver and the kernel-module-alsa packages. Do I need both?

I'd like if someone can calrify this issues.
Thanks!