Re: X windows and gdm on Dell/fedora

> 1) I'm having great problems getting a new Dell Dimension 8300 (newly isntalled
> Fedora Core) to run X windows (gnome). It has a Nvidia GEForceFx 5200 card and
> a Dell 1703 FPt flat panel monitor. When I try to run it I get a "Can't Display
> This Mode" message.  I've changed the HorizSync and VertRefresh lines in the
> XF86Config file to match those in the monitor's manual, but that didn't help.
> I've also made sure the mode line matches the monitor's capabilities.
>
> I only have the default (nv) driver for the card, but I think I'd get some kind
> of image even with that. So far no luck. Can anyone help?

it will not work. change to the standard vesa driver.

> 2) That brings up question 2:  how do I keep the system from trying to run gdm
> on startup. I'm able get out of it by pressing ctrl-alt-backspace, but I have
> to that repeatedly and it's very annoying. I've looked through the /etc/rc.d
> directory but I can't see what's trying to run gdm.

get the nvidia driver from the website. change to initlevel 3 (in
/etc/inittab). reboot, install the driver. edit your X configuration (as
explained in the nvidia driver documentation), change initlevel to 5
again and reboot.
worked fine for me on a inspiron 5150.

regards, oliver