Re: Training SpamAssassin

EIP, All:

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 12:35, Exile In Paradise wrote:
> I have 2 spam folders.. spam and spam-archive.
> I have lots of rules in Evolution to file mailing lists and such...
> anything that does not have its own rule usually lands in the Inbox.
>
> So, the last rule in my Evolution filters checks SA like this:
> If
>    Pipe Message to Shell Command "/usr/bin/spamc -c" does not return 0
> Then
>   Move to folder "spam" in "local folders"

A quick note: filters for things that can be absolutely determined
(e.g., mails with "fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx" in the from field) should
always have a "stop processing" directive, lest your mail list mails go
through SA.  Actually, I would guess this is typically ok, but when you
are just starting to train SA, this can be a hassle.  Plus, it is
unnecessary if the email can be _definitely_ determined to be ok.

> This way, my Inbox stays clean and junk accumulates in the "spam"
> folder... then I can trawl through to make sure nothing I want to save
> got accidentally filed as spam, then move all the "processed" spams to
> the spam-archive folder.
>
> Then, to train SA, I run this every so often:
> sa-learn --spam --mbox --showdots --file \
> ~/evolution/local/SPAM-Archive/mbox
>
> Hope all of this helps someone.

I helped me enough to put SA back on my machine and get it working (I
was having problems with it the last time I tried).  Thanks!

Looking forward to a spam-free future,

Neil