Re: How do list threads work for MIME digest? (Karl DeBisschop)

fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

 10. Re: How do list threads work for MIME digest? (Karl DeBisschop)

Message: 10
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:45:27 -0500
From: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How do list threads work for MIME digest?

Are the threads held together based on the text of the subject line or
is there some magic in the header  that makes it work?
The reason I ask is that I get  the MIME digest and if all that is
required to maintain a thread is the subject line--no problem but If
there is some kind of non-subject line tracking involved,  how do I
reply from a digest.?

There is a message/thread id that the digest looses, so at best, I think your message will be listed in the thread, but with a qualification that the list software was not sure it was in the thread.

I'm using TB .4 and it forces a reply to the entire digest and won't
allow a reply to a single message.

I'm trying to puzzle out the same issue.

There are text-mode MUA that (I'm told) do what we want. Pine is one example.

For TB 0.4, try double-clicking on the attachment at the bottom of the digest (you should be able to read the title of each thread in a smaller inset window). That shoul get you just the one thread, with the proper subect and all.

There is a context menu that gives a couple of reply options, but they do not seem to work.

So it looks as if the issue is on the radar screen of the developers, but isn't quite implemented yet.

--
Karl

If I understand the question, I have just now fixed mine so that it will work right with Mozilla 1.4.1. The clue is in the file /usr/share/doc/mailman-2.1.2/README wich says, in part: - Per-user configuration optional digest delivery for either MIME-compliant or RFC 1153 style "plain text" digests.

Sure enough, I went to the web page and changed the 3rd bullet from "plain text" to "mime" and I expect that the problem is fixed.  Fact is, I'm pretty confident because my subscription to redhat-list digest worked 'right' and that option was the only difference.

-- An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.

12:51:00  up 9 days, 22:15,  7 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.09, 0.07
    One billion seconds ago it was 11:04:20 CST Wed 04/05/72

Repeat after me: "The primary purpose of any government
entity is to employ the unemployable."