Re: antivir - net-tools - trojan horse

Olaf Mueller wrote:

Hello,

checking my filesystem with antivir (H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH,
AntiVir / Linux Version 2.0.9-6, VDF version: 6.23.0.9 created 12 Dec
2003) runs into the following alert. Antivir says that the files
/usr/share/locale/<pt_BR,fr,de,cs>/LC_MESSAGES/net-tools.mo are
infected with trojan horse "TR/HackToolX.RK.1".

So I get a fresh RPM file "net-tools-1.60-20.1" from
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=net-tools,
extract one of the net-tools.mo files from RPM and checked it with
antivir. And I was very surpriesed to see that antivir found in this
new rpm- file a trojan horse too!

I can't speak for the rpm you found on rpmfind.net, but if you get the package of the same name from fedora.redhat.com using yum, it should be clean. I have this installed on my system. I scanned the directories you indicated using F-Prot, and mine came up clean.

  "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
   you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran