Re: Compiling kernel with 'make rpm'

d. Taylor Singletary wrote:
Hi,

I've compiled a new version of the kernel using 'make rpm', however I am
nervous about rebooting, as the rpm -i did not create an initrd file.
What is the best way to create one? I've run man initrd but it only
spoke of initrd in the context of a device, rather than the creation of
the file itself.

Any help would be very appreciated.

cd /boot mkinitrd -v initrd-kernelversion.img kernelversion

replacing "kernelversion" with the actual version of the NEW kernel,
e.g.

    mkinitrd -v initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -