Re: raid controller recommendation

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 05:50 , leam <leam@xxxxxxxxx> sent:

>Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
>> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>(snip lots of RAID stuff and opinions)
>
>Requesting clarifications. There seems to be several opinions based on
>different questions. I'm very interested in the topic, but if you more
>knowledgeable types could work through the confusion it would help.
>
>1. The topic seems to be hardware RAID solutions. Software RAID has its
>place, but not on this topic. Maybe a performance test later?
>
>2. There seems to be different levels of board; for example the 100MHz
>small system and the high-end boards that can handle up to 16 drives.
>Can you address recommendations on *both* ends of the spectrum? Are
>there eother product catagories?
>
>3. Please support statements of opinion with evidence of fact. "You are
>wrong." is an opinion. "3ware boards did not have a fast chipset until
>the 7xxx series." is a more factual statement. "I run 3ware boards with
>16 disks in a production environment" is a statement of fact. What
>conclusions we draw from that are opinions.  :)

I did some research last night on the promise sx6000 v. the 3ware.  Everything leans towards the 3ware being more stable and better
performance.  In addition, it _seemed_ that linux drivers were an afetr thought for promise.  Now there is still some ambiquity about the
sx6000 not being fully hardware raid. I am under the assumption that it is, if someone can clarify this a bit more I would be grateful

>For those of us new to some of these things, what sort of enclosure
>would you use for a larger (4-8-16) disk set?

I am planning on getting a 9-bay-5.25 case, enlight has a nice one for about $140.00

>ciao!

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
http://www.prupref.com

---- Prudential Preferred Properties   www.prupref.com