RE: raid controller recommendation

Speaking as a database administrator, it's also good for running a large
data warehouse application.

With databases you want to maximize the number of spindles to increase
throughput with minimal seeks (although with that many drives you're
probably going to hit the limitations of the PCI bus). Many database servers
will run an array with many smaller disks, rather than fewer large disks.
It's much faster to pull 1 MB off 20 disks simultanously than to pull 20 MB
off one disk.

Also, someone commented on the negligible performance difference between SW
& HW raid. While this may be the case for RAID 1, 0, or 10, with any RAID
solution that requires parity computation (3, 5, 30 or 50), you had better
go the hardware route.

Steve