Re: Urgent: System complains about /etc/rc.d/rcinit and can't mount fstab entries

Hi there,

thanks Jesse, I'll try thy pointers.

> Wow, /dev/hda<x> doesn't exist...?

Nope. I haven't tried using fdisk yet, but partitions are not accessible
when I boot into this Fedora failsafe mode.

> Does /dev/MAKEDEV exist?

Mmh... I haven't looked yet. I guess, I'll follow Jesse's pointers, they
seem logical to me, though I guess the BIOS should find the drive
alright. After all, I couldn't boot into failsafe mode from the physical
drive if the BIOS can't handle it, could I?

I'll boot the system from a Knoppix CD on Sunday and make a backup of
all the data first before tampering any further. I'll then use fdisk
from the Knoppix disk to determine the status of the partitions.

What log files apart from /var/log/messages do I/you need to investigate
what happened or how to fix it?

This breakdown is somewhat unnerving because if I can believe the users
it came out of the blue. I just had everything running smoothly. And
then the system doesn't seem to appreciate all my work and quit on me...
grrrrr :-(

If the cause for my troubles is an inconsistent filesystem, can I boot
Knoppix and start e2fsck/fsck from the Knoppix CD or do I have do call
the onboard utilities to fix filesystem errors?

thanks,
Tobias