Running only on RAM

Title: Message
Hi all.

    I'm searching to make (yet another one) project of an embeded system to make router/fw box. I'm searching informations to make a basic Linux booting from a Compact Flash and, due to minimal capacity of writing on CF, the system must ONLY work in RAM (really rare write on the CF).
    It's a like the way CISCO and other product use to due for their hardware : the system is on a flash memory and it run only in ram.

    So I've question about this : like I don't plan to rewrite all an OS but instead reuse one, I want to know if someone could give me hint about this regarding Fedora / Redhat ?
    I see that fedora offer a router/fw basic config ... is there a way to reduce it over the size of the 256 Mo ???

Thanks.
JB