RE: Fdd disapeared from desktop

Yes that's the solution! It works good, by right-clicking on the desktop/drives/Fdd the Fdd-icon appear and disappear but only when there's a diskette in the Fdd. The same with Cd-rom. What a great OS.
It's so easy..
Many thanks.

From: "Nix, Robert P." <Nix.Robert@xxxxxxxx>
To: "'fedolis@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <fedolis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Fdd disapeared from desktop
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:11:59 -0600

(assuming Gnome):

Did you try right-clicking on the desktop, clicking on Disks, and selecting Floppy from the list? I don't get a reaction to the drive until I do this. (Most hardware doesn't have a method of seeing a floppy inserted; the hardware just doesn't realize it's been put in there...)

Doing this puts the icon on the desktop and allows you to work with the disk. When done, right-click on the floppy icon and eject it, then actually physically eject the disk from the drive.

The CDROM drive should have the same issues: The icon should go away when you eject the disc.

(I had to go through five or six diskettes to find one that actually had something on it, just to be sure this worked.... :-)

----
Robert P. Nix                            internet: nix.robert@xxxxxxxx
Mayo Clinic                                  phone: 507-284-0844
RO-CE-8-857                                page: 507-270-1182
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
----   "Codito, Ergo Sum"
"In theory, theory and practice are the same,
 but in practice, theory and practice are different."