Re: Problems with older RPMs on Fedora

> Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm having problems with a v3 RPM on fedora core. I'm trying to install ARCServe 9
>> for Linux on Fedora but each time it goes to install a RPM it segfaults. Doing a
>> rpm2cpio I can extract and view the contents of the RPM. It appears from rpm
>> v4.2.0
>> to 4.2.1 that the rpm db has been changes from db3 to db4 and it appears to be the
>> cause of the problem because it installs OK on RH9 so the RPMs aren't corrupt.
>>
>> I'm looking to go to RHEL to solve the problem but from what I can tell RHEL is
>> running the same version of RPM (from the SRPM packages on ftp.redhat.com) so it
>> looks like I'll have the same problem and hence not achieve anything.
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before or know of a work around. Are v3 RPMs incompatible
>> with
>> v4.2.1 rpms?
>>
>> Regards
>> Peter
>>

> segfault isn't good.  If your package manages to segfault rpm, then you
> may have discovered a bug somehow.  Is that package freely
> distributable?  If so it would help if we could download it in order to
> attempt to investigate.
>
> Please CC me in reply otherwise I might miss it.

Thanks Warren,

You can get a demo of the product off the Computer Associates web site at www.ca.com
there's a link at the bottom to BrightStor ARCServe Backup 9 evaluation, and there's
then a link to "BrightStor ARCserve Backup v9 for Linux" from there. I've tried the
tar ball (which contains the install with rpms) from there are well as the one on
the CD (which appears to be identical).

If you can't find it I can make the tar ball available for you to download.

Regards
Peter

Peter Robinson                               Senior Consultant
Open Systems Support                 peterr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
97 Broadway, Nedlands WA 6009
Ph (08) 92848777                             Fax (08) 93869833