how to boot with external scsi drives turned off

Hello;
   I have a couple of FC1 systems.
One is all scsi (AHA2940UW), FC1 runs fine on it.

I also have 3 huge Seagate 5" full height 47GB drives.
I have them in an external tower that has its own power supply.
They are set up as ext3 single partition drives for storage.
My motherboard is a Rioworks PDVIA with dual 68-pin scsi.

I dont need the scsi tower most of the time as it used for backup and
general storage.
It is also large and noisy.

Ok the problem is that when I turn off the tower the system hangs
during /etc/fstab.
If I comment the drives out it boots fine.

/dev/sdb1      /mnt/scsi-ext-top    ext3     noauto   1 2
/dev/sdc1      /mnt/scsi-ext-mid    ext3     noauto   1 2
/dev/sdd1      /mnt/scsi-ext-bot    ext3     noauto   1 2

How do I leave the drives in /etc/fstab and not have them powered up?
These are the only drives on that controller.

Thanks
    Mick M.