Re: Fedora/Redhat Install Problems

--- Serge Neumann <woody@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have a problem with installing fedora/redhat on a
> Shuttle XPC SB61G2 with
> intel D865G Chipset
>

> The installation starts without problems, but after
> setting all parameters
> etc.. the system shuts down when the message
>
> "Preparing to install " appears but only  when I
> chose "Everything" for the
> packages. I tried it with a workstation installation
> and
>
> that works (Redhat 9 and Fedora Linux Core 1).
>

> Does anybody know what the problem could be ?
>

> I hope this is the right place to ask questions like
> this.
>

> Thx in advance
>

> Neumann Serge

Serge,
I have had similar problems in the past: the machine
boots fine from the first CD, begins to install, then
hangs - with or withour an error message. I have found
that making a boot floppy, then booting the install
process from the floppy has worked for me when this
happens.
The easiest way to make a boot floppy is to open the
first disk under MS Windows, then follow the README
files in the "dosutils" folder. (You run "rawritewin"
and use "bootdisk.img" as the source.) There is also a
way to do it under Linux; I believe the command is
"dd".
If anyone knows why booting from a floppy rather than
from a bootable CDROM gives different results, I would
like to know!

Mike Smith