Re: overwriting a file

Or, you can keep the cp -i and, when you want to skip the prompt by typing a backslash ("\") before the command. Just like this:

\cp <filename> <destiny>

This works with mv and rm, too.

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 14:21, Christophe Le Guern wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:05:47 -0500
"Genti A. Hila" <genti_tek4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi list,
> When i copy a file to another location and that file exist there already there is a promts that asks for overwriting. How can i skip the prompt
>
> cp /var/named/named.run /var/named/named.save
>
> I tried man cp and tried option  -f ( cp -f   ......) which works fine when I remove a file but still it asks me when i try to overwrite.
>
> How can i force it to be non interactive ? I didn't see any option that allows me to do so.

Look at ~/.bashrc, there is some alias like cp='cp -i', just comment it out.

Christophe