Xine / Mplayer Freeze with DVD that have bad sector

hi,
Yesterday i rent a DVD i read it with Xine wich freeze after the 9th chapter
the dvd seems to be bad here is my kernel messages :

Dec 8 00:21:55 localhost kernel: hdb: media error (bad sector): status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Dec 8 00:21:55 localhost kernel: hdb: media error (bad sector): error=0x34
Dec 8 00:21:55 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 6618332

So ok my DVD was bad (i try to play it with Xine and Gmplayer ) if i skeep the 5 buggy minutes all is ok but wen this arrived Xine Freeze and i just can to a CTRL ALT F1 to have a console and kill xine (note that killall didnt work) this with all debug messages from bad sector flushing to console (hard way to see what you type) .
Gmplayer crash at the same sector but i cant kill it, a CTRL ALT BACKSPACE reboot the Xserver and after i cant use normally my computer.
So, ok my DVD was bad but the freezing of my whole PC isnt justified.
Why dont just dispaly kernel messages into ONLY the First virtual console
Why is there so much apps that i cant kill in FC1 (as root with kill -9 )

Thanks to your anwsers .