Re: Beta Nvidia Drivers

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:31:27 -0500, Will Mendez wrote:

> If anyone is interested, it does not seem to require the gcc32
> workaround as well.
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21848

I've just built a new RPM using Peter Backlund's spec and the new beta.

I even cleaned up the spec file and ran it through rpmlint, although
there's one outstanding error that I'm at a loss what to do with:

"obsolete-not-provided NVIDIA_kernel"

The thing is, that's the whole *point* isn't it?

"kernel-module-nvidia-driver" is the *new* name of the package which
obsoletes the *old* "NVIDIA_kernel" package. I don't get it. How can you
change the name of a package which obsoletes an older version, but still
*provide* the old version?

I need another coffee :)

Anyway, I'll up it to the repo later today. It will be in the unstable
section, and called:

nvidia-driver-1.0.4620-0.fdr.11.1.src.rpm
kernel-module-nvidia-driver-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl-1.0.4620-0.fdr.11.1.i386.rpm
nvidia-glx-1.0.4620-0.fdr.11.1.i386.rpm

Other changes:

rpmlint complained about the kernel-module RPM not having any docs, so I
included a README.beta.

Another complaint was that "NVidia Software License" is not a valid
license. I wasn't too sure about that, but I changed it to "Commercial"
anyway. If that's wrong, let me know and I'll change it again. Anyway, it
seemed to shut rpmlint up.

Also, apparently the "cp" command in any %post scripts is (quote)
"dangerous". Yeah, if you say so. Changed it to cat > file, since it was
just a configuration file.

Apart from the fact it's a new beta, there's also a new tool
"nvidia-settings" which mimics the NVidia section of the Windoze Display
Properties control panel. Hmmm, yes well. That's included in the RPM too.

Keith.