Re: Mozilla-browser or Novell bug?

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 21:09, bengt.lindholm@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I use my mail server with Mozilla-browser (not mozilla-mail). When I log in there is first the login-page, where there reads  Novell iChain Proxy Services. The problem is, that with RedHat9 and RH's version of Mozilla the page loads correctly and I am able to log in. Now with Fedora Core 1 and FC's version of Mozilla (the latest) I get the HTML-code (!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD HTML 3.2//EN"> .....) written in text-mode on my screen and nothing to use to login. Is the problem between the ears of the guys, who are the MailServer-keepeers, or where?

It looks like your problem is that the email server is not sending back
a proper HTML meta descriptor, or Novell is mis-interpreting the website
as being plain text.  Try using a different web browser if you have any
installed, such as Konqueror, links (text), lynx (text) and see if the
problem persists, or if it becomes readable.

Also, to check exactly which HTML meta descriptors are being returned,
open up a console and try as follows:
1. telnet email_server_hostname http <enter> (if secure website, https
instead of http) -
example: telnet slashdot.org http

2. inside telnet type:
GET / HTTP/1.1 <enter> or another path that you use to get to your email
-
examples: GET / HTTP/1.1 and GET /mail/index.html HTTP/1.1

3. also inside telnet type on the following line:
Host: email_server_hostname <enter> <enter> (the same hostname you
telnetted into, make sure you hit enter twice) -
example: Host: slashdot.org

4. examine the HTTP and HTML headers returned, looking for double sets
of (!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD HTML 3.2//EN"> .....).  If this is
the case then your proxy server is pre-appending additional doctypes to
your web requests.  If not then it's probably the web browser
mis-interpreting the doctype sent.

Cheers,

Daniel

--